Your Thoughts Thursday: Vegans And Soy
Unlike anything else in the healthy eating world (and by that I mean just like everything else in the healthy eating world), there is mixed information on soy. According to the soymilk box, soy is going to save our heart, our family’s lives, the world. And much of the general public associates soy with “healthy” because we see our health-conscious friends making the switch. But more and more often we’re seeing articles and health advocates warning the dangers of soy and it’s phytoestrogens. Now we’re being told soy could be causing the cancers the soymilk box and tofu carton told us they were going to prevent. While it’s true many vegans and vegetarians rely heavily on soy products to replace their non-vegan equivalents, what less conscious consumers often don’t realize is, soy is in everything. Read a label of mainstream packaged anything and you’re probably going to find a soy product listed. Avoiding soy isn’t just about passing on the tempeh, and if it’s a concern at all, it certainly isn’t a concern that affects solely the veg community! What are your thoughts on soy?
- Do you avoid soy or monitor your intake because of the health controversy?
- Or do you avoid it anyway because of a soy sensitivity? If so, how does soy ingestion affect you?
- When it comes to food safety controversy, do you think all things in moderation, or better safe than sorry?
- Do you tend to do a lot of your own research on these matters?
- Are there sources you trust as the final word in health issues or do you take it all with a grain of salt?
- Do you think the vegan and vegetarian community in general is consuming too much soy?
- Do you avoid GMO (genetically modified) soy? Why or why not?
- What other foods do you have concerns over?