Your Thoughts Thursday: Vegan Guilt
My question today isn’t about right or wrong. It isn’t about what, as a vegan, you should do or think. Everyone has lines they draw, and chances are, no matter how far you’ve drawn your line, someone else has drawn theirs further. I’ve known people who won’t get in their friends cars or sit in certain theaters because they have leather seats. On the other hand, I know many vegans who won’t purchase apparel with leather or fur, but will gladly accept free hand-me-down leather coats and shoes from friends and family. The point is, they’re acting upon an individual decision with which they are comfortable, making a personal decision. We all make choices based on what our gut (or heart) tells us is right. But my curiosity is, is there anything you purchase, use, or do that “your gut” just isn’t happy about?
- Is there anything you feel guilty about purchasing despite knowing it isn’t vegan?
- What about OTC or prescription medications? Do you use them when you’re sick or to treat a medical condition and hold a little vegan guilt about it?
- Do you ever dine out wondering, “Was that 100% vegan?”, cursing not asking the waiter more questions when he was vague?
- Have you ever felt guilty for taking part in some sort of activity that involved animal exploitation such as a fair, zoo, or circus?
- Do you ever prepare non-vegan food for others, and if so, does it bother you?
- Has guilt ever led you to “redraw your line” for products, restaurants, or activities?