Your Thoughts Thursday: Doctor’s Orders
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say something like, “I wanted to go vegan, but my doctor told me abstaining from meat, eggs, and dairy would kill me.” or, “My friend was vegan, but her doctor told her she had to start eating meat again.” It’s not a surprising thing to hear, walking into medical offices strewn with National Dairy Council and Good Egg Project posters, but we’re still taken aback by the demand. These are the professionals we have been taught to trust above all others, and no matter how many times we hear doctors have little to no nutritional training, it can feel defiant to go against their recommendations. So my question is, have you ever been told by a doctor your veganism could be harmful to your health?
- Has a friend or family member told you their doctor didn’t approve?
- Have you discussed the dietary implications of your lifestyle with your doctor and if so, what were their thoughts?
- Or do you not put much faith in the dietary recommendations of Western medicine?
- Does it bother you that medical professionals are lobbied by drug companies, food councils, and other organizations?
- Do you think these connections weigh into their medical opinions?