Ten Reasons I’m Vegan: Jessica, The Domestic Vegan
Today, we have another gorgeous vegan blogger, Jessica of The Domestic Vegan, sharing ten reasons she loves being vegan! Jess’s healthy and easy vegan diet has been featured on Shape Magazine’s website, and she shares even more fabulous tips and recipes on her blog and Twitter. You just can’t help but love her!
- Vegans are true environmentalists! The vast majority of land in the U.S. is used in the production of raising animals for human consumption – which is linked to deforestation, destruction of wildlife species, loss of soil productivity, mineral depletion, and water pollution. By eating an organic plant-based diet, I am doing my best to not contribute to such destruction.
- I’m helping to eradicate world hunger! It takes many pounds of grain & water to produce one pound of animal flesh, which is an incredible waste of land & resources.
- Cooking & baking without animal products is exciting & rewarding. It’s so fun to experiment with recipes & recreate old favorites, cruelty-free style!
- I no longer feel like a hypocrite for calling myself an “animal lover.” Slaughtering & eating (or wearing) animals isn’t very loving, is it?
- I always thought that slaughtering baby cows to be sold as “veal” was abhorrent, and when I learned of the dairy-veal connection, I knew that I could not continue to support the dairy industry. (To read about that, see here.)
- And speaking of dairy… Humans are the only animals to a) Drink the milk of another species, and b) Drink milk past infancy. Are you “lactose intolerant”? That’s widespread & natural. Go ahead & wean yourself!
- I never feel sluggish or tired after a delicious, nourishing plant-based meal. Vegan food is perfectly filling, but it energizes me so much more than heavy animal products ever did.
- I’m doing what I can to protect myself from heart disease & cancer – the #1 & #2 killers in the United States, which are strongly linked to diet & lifestyle habits.
- My actions & lifestyle are consistent with my values. I oppose violence, oppression, and abuse, and veganism is the embodiment of peaceful, non-violent, compassionate living.
- I want to age gracefully & healthfully – free of the aches, pains, and health problems that too often plague our society. Plus, have you ever seen Mimi Kirk? She’s a 72 year old vegan & HOT. AS. HELL. (Seriously, check her out.) What an inspiration!